Other Services

In addition to well-being, professional development and other resources mentioned on this site, UT has services and funds available to help students in a variety of special circumstances.

Legal Services for Students (LSS)

Legal Services for Students provides free consultations on some (though not all) legal issues that may affect current UT graduate and undergraduate students. Advice is available for many landlord/tenant and rental issues, criminal charges, traffic tickets, consumer issues, car wrecks, and employment law questions not involving disputes against UT. 


International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

International students often face special legal or procedural challenges related to immigration advising, maintaining visa status, employment issues, immigration compliance and reporting as required by the federal government, health insurance compliance, federal tax filing assistance, and international travel issues. ISSS provides specialized advising services and programs for these students. 

Student Veteran Services

The University offers support for students who are veterans. 


Office of the Student Ombuds

If you have a conflict within your program, you should ordinarily start by discussing it with your Graduate Advisor. In some instances, you may find it helpful to get advice from the Office of the Student Ombuds, which can be reached at (512) 471-3825.


Graduate Student Organizations

You can find information about the Graduate Student Assembly and other organizations that graduate students may join at the university at the link above. The college also has a graduate council and representatives across CNS.

Emergency Funds for CNS Grad Students

CNS Graduate Education Emergency Grants are designed to provide funds to graduate students to mitigate emergency situations rapidly.  They are not suited to solve long-term or structural problems and intended for applications after other university resources such as the Student Emergency Fund provided by the Dean of Students have been contacted first. Applications are free form, include a succinct explanation of the situation, a brief accounting of what the funds will be used for, and some documentation of the current financial need. Students may apply any time of the year, and grants are up to $1,000.  Typically, applicants will not apply for more than one grant per year. Examples for appropriate use of such funds include (but are not limited to), costs related to medical care, unexpected childcare needs, needs related to personal safety (e.g., security improvements of home), replacement of belongings lost in disaster, food or housing insecurity related to emergencies, and unexpected interruptions in reliable transportation. No reporting is required, and the information presented in the application will be kept strictly confidential within the Dean's Office, excepting issues related to Title IX. To be eligible, applicants:

  • Must be an active graduate student in a CNS program at the time of application submission
  • Have only one application per year submitted

Emergency grants will be reviewed on an ad hoc basis by the Associate Dean and/or Director for Graduate Education. Applicants need to provide some assurance that other avenues for relief such as the Dean of Students emergency funds have been attempted. These funds can be used to supplement funds from other aid sources, provided supplementation is deemed necessary. The application link is above.