Button to scroll to the top of the page.

Graduate students have the right to seek redress for academic or nonacademic issues. Every effort should be made to resolve grievances informally with the assistance of the student’s Graduate Adviser, Graduate Studies Committee Chair, Program Director, or Department Chair. If a grievance cannot be resolved informally, students have recourse to formal grievance procedures. Students filing grievances are protected against retaliation. Most issues fall into one of the following categories:

  • Grade disputes are governed by College and Department review policies. The order of review is course instructor, Graduate Adviser, Department Chair or Program Director, and Dean of the College. The decision of the Dean is final.
  • Other academic grievances (e.g., disputes related to a student’s academic responsibilities, thesis/dissertation research, or graduate degree requirements) are governed by Graduate School Grievance Procedures as outlined in the Handbook of Operating Procedures (HOP).
  • Grievances involving any form of alleged harassment or discrimination should be submitted to either the University Title IX Office and/or the Office for Inclusion and Equity, following HOP rules for the Department of Investigation and Adjudication.
  • In instances of alleged misconduct, general guidelines indicate that an internal resolution should be pursued whenever possible. If internal resolution fails, cases alleging student misconduct should be referred to the Office of the Dean of Students. Cases alleging faculty, staff or supervisor misconduct should be directed to the Department Chair or Program Director, the College Dean, and the Graduate School, in that order.
  • Teaching Assistant or Assistant Instructor employment disputes are governed by University TA/AI Grievance Procedures.
  • Graduate Research Assistant employment disputes are governed by University GRA Grievance Procedures.