ONCE YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE ALEKS ASSESSMENT, PRINT AND SAVE A SCREENSHOT SHOWING YOUR ALEKS PIE AND SCORE. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS IN FUTURE SEMESTERS. IF YOU REQUEST THIS FROM THE CNS DEAN’S OFFICE THERE WILL BE A $10 CHARGE FOR A PRINT OUT. MANY COMMUNITY COLLEGES AND OTHER INSTITUTIONS MAY REQUEST THIS FROM YOU FOR THEIR COURSES TAKEN AT A LATER DATE.
Courses in the College of Natural Sciences are demanding. To help you prepare for college-level chemistry courses at UT Austin, the College of Natural Sciences (CNS) and the Department of Chemistry require an ALEKS online assessment. The assessment provides computer-based support as you review topics in preparation for CH301. Once your CH301 class starts, your instructor will assume you know all of the material included in the ALEKS Chemistry Assessment.
All students registering for CH301 in Summer or Fall 2016 are required to meet a minimum score of 85 on ALEKS Chemistry. For students who already know that they plan to take CH301 this Fall, we recommend that you complete the initial ALEKS Chemistry assessment prior to Orientation. If you are unsure whether or not you will take CH301 in the fall, do not purchase the ALEKS Chemistry assessment until after Orientation. No refunds will be issued. You will have an opportunity to meet with your academic advisor at Orientation and determine your fall course schedule.
Once you purchase the ALEKS Chemistry assessment, you will have up to twelve weeks to work in the learning modules to improve your score. Students taking CH301 in Fall must earn an 85 or higher on ALEKS Chemistry by 11:59pm on Tuesday, August 30th or you will be dropped from the course.
Click here to purchase the ALEKS Chemistry assessment (you will need your EID and a credit card).
Once purchased, you may access the ALEKS Chemistry Assessment here. Please note the following guidelines:
- Your initial assessment must be completed in one sitting, set aside 1.5 to 2 hours to complete to the best of your ability.
- After completing your initial assessment, you may work in the learning modules, where you will complete practice problems to raise your overall score.
- Your score of 85% must be on file prior to the Fall drop deadline of 11:59pm on August 30th or you will be dropped from CH301.
- Many incoming first-year students have not taken Chemistry recently, and consequently spend several hours in the learning modules to reach 85%. Please plan accordingly to spread your time out over the summer as much as possible to be best prepared for CH301 at UT.
- You may use scratch paper and pencil.
- A calculator and necessary tables will be provided by ALEKS when needed, please do not use your own.
- You may not use books, other materials, the Internet, or consult with anyone during the assessment.
Students enrolling in CH301 for Summer Sessions 2016 must earn the minimum score of 85% on the ALEKS Chemistry assessment by May 31st at 11:59 pm (Session I) or July 13th at 11:59pm (Session II), or you will be dropped from CH301.