Courses in the College of Natural Sciences are demanding. To help you prepare for college-level chemistry courses at UT Austin, the College of Natural Sciences (CNS) and the Department of Chemistry require an ALEKS online assessment. The assessment provides computer-based support as you review topics in preparation for CH301. Once your CH301 class starts, your instructor will assume you know all of the material included in the ALEKS Chemistry Assessment.
All students registering for CH301 in Spring 2017 are required to meet a minimum score of 85 on ALEKS Chemistry (scores are automatically transmitted; you do not need to contact anyone to show your score). Students may register for CH301 prior to fulfilling the ALEKS prerequisite; the department will verify that you have met the prerequisite requirements by the drop deadline.
For new, incoming students who already know that they plan to take CH301 this Spring, we recommend that you complete the initial ALEKS Chemistry assessment prior to Orientation (January 9th). If you are unsure whether or not you will take CH301 in the spring, do not purchase the ALEKS Chemistry assessment until after Orientation. No refunds will be issued. You will have an opportunity to meet with your academic advisor at Orientation and determine your spring course schedule.
Students taking CH301 in Spring must earn an 85% or higher on ALEKS Chemistry by 11:59pm on Tuesday, January 16th or you will be dropped from the course. Scores are automatically transmitted; you do not need to contact anyone to show your score.
Click here to purchase the ALEKS Chemistry assessment (you will need your EID and a credit card).
Once purchased, you may access the ALEKS Chemistry Assessment here, or through the link provided in your email purchase receipt. Please note the following guidelines:
- Your initial assessment must be completed in one sitting, set aside 1.5 to 2 hours to complete to the best of your ability.
- After completing your initial assessment, you may work in the learning modules, where you will complete practice problems to raise your overall score.
- Your score of 85% must be on file prior to the Spring drop deadline of 11:59pm on Tuesday, January 16th or you will be dropped from CH301.
- Many incoming new students have not taken Chemistry recently, and consequently spend several hours in the learning modules to reach 85%. Please plan accordingly to allow as much as possible to be best prepared for CH301 at UT.
- You may use scratch paper and pencil.
- A calculator and necessary tables will be provided by ALEKS when needed, please do not use your own.
- You may not use books, other materials, the Internet, or consult with anyone during the assessment.