What starts in physics, changes the world of science.
- Ranked 14th in the nation for Physics, third for Plasma Physics, and ninth for Cosmology/Relativity/Gravity.
- The best physics department within 1500 miles of Austin, Texas.
- Ranked 8th in level of federally supported research for physics departments (2014).
- Among national leaders in fundamental theory, high energy density research, condensed matter physics, theoretical plasma physics and other fields.
- Women in Physics outreach program supports the advancement and retention of female physicists.
- Home of Alice in Wonderland program for girls interested in physics.
- Physics Circus takes physics to K-12 schools and communities.
- Minority Bridge Program for bringing more underrepresented minorities into graduate physics programs.
The Department of Physics explores and teaches the basic principles of the most fundamental of all natural sciences; discovers the fundamental laws of matter, energy and universal structure; and, trains students for careers in research, technology and many other areas.
489 Undergraduate (Fall 2016)
205 Graduate (Fall 2016)
1 Nobel Prize in Physics
1 National Medal of Science
1 Dirac Medal
3 members of the National Academy of Sciences
2 members of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
11 fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
33 fellows of the American Physical Society
6 Sloan Fellowships
6 National Science Foundation Early CAREER Awards
4 National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Awards
5 Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers
5 members of the Academy of Distinguished Teachers
1 Max Planck Award
1 WKH Panofsky Prize
1 APS Buckley Prize
1 Angiola Gili Agostinelli International Prize
1 Jurgen Moser Prize
1 fellow of the Optical Society of America
1 Jefferson Science Fellow
1 Boltzmann Medal
Atomic and molecular physics / Condensed matter physics / Cell physics / Cosmology / Elementary particle physics / Fundamental theory / Gravitation / High energy density physics / Plasma physics / Precision measurement / Short time scale physics