From genes to ecosystems.
- Ecology, Evolution & Behavior and Plant Biology graduate programs ranked among top programs nationwide.
- One of the largest and most diverse sys-tematics collections in the country with over nine million specimens, including reptiles and amphibians (80,000), fishes (1 million), insects (2 million), birds and mammals (6,000), and vascular plants (1.1 million).
- Faculty among most-cited in their fields, and among most-cited at the university.
- Thirteen faculty have at least 10,000 cita-tions in Google Scholar.
- Brackenridge Field Laboratory provides juxtaposition of lab and field resources very near campus to support research and field courses.
The Department of Integrative Biology explores the organisms that make up our world and the systems in which they interact, falter or thrive. The department emphasizes interdisciplinary approaches to understand biological diversity across fields such as genetics, genomics, mathematics, neuroscience, conservation biology, computer science, and infectious diseases.
Affiliated Graduate Programs
Cellular and Molecular Biology
Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
4 members of the National Academy of Sciences
8 fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
6 National Science Foundation Early CAREER Awards
2 MacArthur Fellows
1 Howard Hughes Medical Institute Award – Early Career Scientist
1 International Prize for Biology
1 Kavli Frontiers of Science Fellow
Animal Behavior / Biodiversity / Bioinformatics / Climate Change / Computational Biology / Conservation Biology / Ecology / Evolution / Genomics / Infectious Disease / Microbiomes / Sexual Selection / Speciation / Systematics
Affiliated Centers & Institutes
Biodiversity Center, including Brackenridge Field Laboratory, Stengl Lost Pines Biological Station, and Biodiversity Collections
Center for Brain, Behavior, and Evolution
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology