The College of Natural Sciences Strategic Research Initiatives office provides grant proposal development support to faculty, researchers and research support staff College-wide.
We work with teams of faculty to identify and develop multi-investigator center grant and institutional training grant proposals. We also offer one-on-one consultations for individual investigator grant proposals.
We maintain an online catalog of information about College and University resources that can be leveraged in grant proposals, and we provide competitive seed funding to support new interdisciplinary research collaborations within the College. We manage internal competitions for limited-submission programs at the College level and establish research policies for the College.
We also support administrative staff who work on grants by providing individual training and proposal preparation guidance. New and experienced research support staff, including postdocs and research scientists who are new to grant writing or proposal prep at UT-Austin, are encouraged to contact us for assistance. Please visit our Research Administrator Resources page to learn about the College's grant support staff working group.
Strategic Research Initiatives is directed by Dr. Jennifer Lyon, who works with faculty to develop competitive grant proposals. Research Support Manager Amy Harding provides mentoring and assistance to research support staff in the College. For more information about how Strategic Research Initiatives can help you secure your next grant, please visit the links below or contact us to schedule a meeting at your convenience.
Success Story spotlight
Keck Foundation Awards $1.5M to Natural Sciences Faculty
The W. M. Keck Foundation recently awarded two grants totaling $1.5 million to Natural Sciences faculty. Prof. Mark Raizen (Physics) will receive $1M to develop a powerful, alternative method for cooling atoms. Prof. Andrew Ellington (Molecular Biosciences) and Dr. Erin Dolan (Texas Institute for Discovery Education in Science) will receive $500K to engage more undergraduate students in using new advanced technologies for research. Read the press release here.
Strategic Research Initiatives is proud to have supported the development of both of these funded proposals. We edited proposal drafts, secured institutional commitments for the proposals, co-organized a site visit on the UT-Austin campus at Keck's request, and created and edited Powerpoint slides for the site visit.
If you're planning to develop a proposal for a major project, or anticipating a funding agency site visit, we can help you, too! Contact us for more information.
- Limited Submission Calendar
- Active Funding Opportunities
- Search for Federal and Private Funding Opportunities
- Funding Opportunities for Graduate Students and Postdocs
- Funding Opportunities for Undergraduates
- Internal Funding
Proposal Submission Resources
Proposal Development Resources
- Proposal Development Services
- Data Management Plan Resources
- Program Assessment Resources
- Educational Outreach Resources
- Responsible Conduct of Research Resources
- Student/Postdoc Mentoring Resources
- Proposal Preparation Guidebooks and Helpful Links
- Internal Forms and Templates for Submitting Proposals
Research Administrator Resources
- Internal Forms, Templates and UT Procedures
College Research Policies
- Limited Submission Protocol and FAQs
- Cost-Sharing and Matching Funds Requests
- Indirect Cost Return Policy
- Financial Conflict of Interest Policy