Requirements for Admission
The application due date is December 1 for prospective students wishing to enter for the fall semester the following year. This is a hard deadline, please have everything in by this date. We only accept applications for the fall semester.
For admission to the Plant Biology program, an applicant must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science, Botany, Plant Biology, or a related field or have at least 24 hours of coursework (12 of those hours must be in upper division) in the life sciences from an accredited institution in the U.S., or have had equivalent training at a foreign university.
- Submit official copies of each academic transcript and have at least a 3.0 GPA (grade of B) in all upper division work, and any graduate work completed. Lower division coursework does not count in the admissions GPA.
- Submit official GRE scores.
- Submit three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to evaluate academic success.
- Submit a personal statement that describes accomplishments, academic objectives, research interests, and goals.
- For international students, submit official TOEFL scores. You must have a minimum score of 550 (paper test), 213 (computer-based test), or 79 (internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Prospective students must apply on line and have the following materials sent directly to the Graduate and International Admissions Center:
- On-line application for admission to the Graduate School
- On-line Statement of Purpose
- On-line letters of recommendation
- Upload copies of official transcripts from all colleges attended. Unofficial transcripts will not accepted.
- Send official score reports for the G.R.E. (Graduate Records Exam) from ETS. Use our university code 6882. We do not have a department code.
- For international students, send official score reports for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) using the university code 6882. We do not have a department code.
- The application fee (your application will not be processed until the Graduate Admissions Center has received the application fee).
- Plant Biology Graduate Application form is on the last page of the Graduate School Application, or you may download it here. Once you have completed the form, upload it to your online application.
Please note that test scores must be reported directly FROM the testing agency. Photocopies will not be accepted.
Students are also encouraged to contact faculty members, which they are interested in working with.