One of UT Austin’s largest academic buildings, Welch is a place nearly every living Longhorn remembers from their days on campus. Built in 1929 and home to the University of Texas at Austin’s top-ranked Chemistry Department, Welch also hosts 10,000+ UT students every day for classes, seminars and labs. The award-winning chemistry faculty based in Welch attracted research awards that generated $14 million in 2014 alone.
Beginning June 1, 2015 the 1929 wing will undergo significant renovations to include:
- New classrooms
- Modern research and teaching labs
- Dedicated labs for the Freshman Research Initiative
- Modernization of the HVAC and air-handling systems
In total, 19,000 square feet of space will be refreshed and updated – the first significant step in the College of Natural Sciences five-year Master Space Plan.
The renovated Welch Hall will be a beacon and an intellectual home for the best faculty and students, dedicated to improving the world through their science. Please consider leaving your mark on this historic building by making a gift to name a classroom, a lab, or community space.
Click here for more information on the naming opportunities for Welch Hall.
VOICES OF WELCH HALL
Hear from some of our faculty, students, graduate researchers, alumni, and others on their “relationship” with a very special building, Welch Hall, which has influenced their path as scientists and citizens.