University housing is very limited and we strongly suggest considering other housing options. Three apartment complexes make up the University Apartments: Brackenridge, Colorado and Gateway. Please note that application for housing is separate from application to The University of Texas at Austin. Applicants must be admitted or enrolled by the preferred move-in date specified on the application. Applicants are placed on a waiting list according to the date the application is received.
The following links may assist you in your search for housing:
- All Austin – Apartment Locators
- Apartment Guide
- Apartment List
- Austin Apartments – Apartment Finders Service
- Austin Home Search
- College Houses Cooperative
- Habitat Hunters – Home Buying, Selling, Leasing
- Home Place - Austin Apartment Locator
- ICC Austin Cooperative
- UT Housing
Complete registration instructions can be found in the Course Schedule that is published each semester by the Office of the Registrar. For your first semester, you will be required to register for BIO 389D (Subjects and Skills for Graduate Students in the Biological Sciences) and in spring in your second semester BIO 389E (Subjects and Skilli in Ecology, Evolution and Behavior II).
Safety Training Requirements
The University requires safety training for all laboratory employees to insure that they are adequately informed about physical and health hazards present within the laboratory and methods for minimizing the risks of exposure.
The following online courses must be completed by all first year students.
- OH 201 - Laboratory Safety -
- OH 202-Hazardous Waste Management
- OH 207 – Biological Safety
- FF 205 Fire Extinguisher Use
Other Training that maybe required
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committe
- Human Subjects REsearch and IRB
- Ethics Training for Graduate Students
Shuttle and Bus Information
With your UT ID Card, you can ride UT shuttles and city buses free! Many apartments throughout Austin are conveniently located on City and/or University bus routes. When making your decision regarding housing, you may want to take bus information into account.
"A" Parking Permit
To purchase the permit online, go to: www.utexas.edu/parking and click on purchase/renew/claim permit. Follow the prompts to purchase the A permit. If you wish to use payroll deduction, you will need to wait until your TA/RA appointment or Fellowship is in the system and finalized before purchasing your permit. If you need further assistance, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate students registered at The University of Texas at Austin for courses of instruction and who are employed by The University of Texas at Austin for at least 20 hours per week (verified by a signed copy of the appointment or reappointment form, or a letter from the dean, director, or department chair, or the appropriate appointment in the HRMS system).
Pre-doctoral fellowship recipients whose monthly stipend meets the full-time rate specified in the instructions (fellowship status and stipend to be verified by a copy of the signed fellowship appointment form).
UT Direct provides students a personalized web portal with easy and convenient access to UT-wide information (UT EID required). Some of the services available are listed below. Note: You will not be able to access most of these areas until you have obtained your UT ID Card and it has been activated once you arrive.
- Address updates in one convenient location
- Student grade history
- Student exam schedule (unique and dynamic for each student)
- Student schedule of classes
- Biographical information page, updateable
- Academic calendars
- Assigned registration dates, times, bar information
- Course schedule and class availability
- Degree audits, including "what if" options
- Advising resources
- Financial summary page with online credit-card payment options
- Tuition and fees
- Status of UT payments to students and staff
- Library services, including online catalog, overdue notices, and online assistance
- Financial aid, including application and processing status, awards, and funds
- Scholarship applications and job bank
- Course instructor surveys
- Computer account claiming
- Class Web sites