Button to scroll to the top of the page.

Laboratory Training Requirements

The University requires safety training for laboratory employees to insure that they are adequately informed about physical and health hazards present within the laboratory and methods for minimizing the risks of exposure. “Laboratory employees” include faculty, staff, and employed students who work in a laboratory setting. For this document the term “laboratory employees” applies as well to graduate and post-doctoral fellows and visiting scientists who work in laboratories. Required training is determined by job duties of the laboratory employee and the specific hazards within the lab.

Your Training History

You can verify what classes you have taken through TXClass (EID required) and choose “Training History.”

Required Training for all Laboratory Employees

Additional Courses

To assist lab departments with maintaining training requirements, the university offers these additional courses:

  • OH 204 Compressed Gases — Compressed gas cylinders can be extremely hazardous when misused or abused. Compressed gas cylinders present a variety of hazards due to their pressure and/or content. This training provides information on how to safely handle and use compressed gases. This course is required for anyone who works with these cylinders.

  • OH207 Biological Safety — Required for all lab employees working with biological hazards, e.g., infectious agents and recombinant DNA.

  • OH218 Bloodborne Pathogens — Required annually for all employees working in labs with human blood or tissues.

  • OH238 Laboratory Safety Refresher - Required three years after the completion of OH201 Laboratory Safety and every three years thereafter.

  • OH301 Basic Radiological Health — Required for all users of radioactive materials.

  • OH601 Dry Ice Shipping — Required for all workers involved in dry ice shipments.

  • OH304 Laser Safety — Required for all users of Class 3B and 4 lasers.

  • OH306 X-ray Safety - Required for all users of radiation (x-ray) producing machines.

  • CW512 NIH guidelines - Required for all workers in labs with recombinant DNA.

  • RR100 Responsible Conduct of Research - Required of all researchers supported on certain NIH grants.  This link has information on this course and and other RCR training.

  • For training on the shipping of hazardous material other than dry ice, contact EH&S.

Responsibilities of PI/Lab Supervisors

PIs/lab supervisors are required to insure all their employees receive proper training, and to provide Site-Specific Hazard Communication training to “laboratory employees” and students in individual instruction courses. PIs/lab supervisors are responsible for ensuring that all training is properly documented and that individuals working in their labs do not engage in activities for which they have not been trained.

EHS Course Schedules and Enrollment

Schedules for courses provided by EHS are available through TXClass (EID required). Lab employees can enroll in courses online. Individuals without access to the Internet can call EHS at 512-471-3511 for course enrollment information.

For More Information

Laboratory Safety ManualUT Hazard Communication Program (PDF), or call EHS at 512-471-3511.



PDFs require the free Adobe® Reader® or compatible software.


Emergency procedures

  • In the event of a fire, serious injury, or other life-threatening situation, call UT Police at 911. 
  • When a biological, chemical, or radioactive spill occurs, or other hazardous environmental situations such as possible gas leaks, air or water quality concerns, call the Environmental Health and Safety at 512-471-3511 (8:00am-5:00pm M-F) or Campus Police at 911 (nights, weekends and holidays).
  • After contacting the appropriate emergency responders, you should alert your supervisor 

Remember to have your name, number, location, and any other pertinent information available at the time of the call. It is important to inform the safety office and the police if any one has been injured or if there has been personal exposure to a dangerous substance.


Non-emergency contacts

  • For issues such as leaking pipes, electrical faults, air-conditioning problems, and custodial call 512-471-2020 (7:30am-5pm M-F).


Important phone numbers

Building-related emergency or problem (broken water pipe, etc): call your building manager (to find your building manager, click the link for your building on this website) or call directly to Facility Services (512) 471-2020 (you can also use this number to request paper towels refills, light bulb replacements, etc.).  

The Environmental Health & Safety (512-471-3511) website has many safety resources.  These include: Safety Training, hazardous waste disposal,  

Workers compensation

If you have a work related injury or illness, you may qualify for workers compensation.  This will cover insurance copays and certain additional expenses.  To qualify for Workers' compensation you must report your injury or illness as soon as possible (24-48 hours, when possible) to your departmental administrator and complete the paper work. If you do not file the paperwork with time limit, you may lose your ability to claim benefits if it later becomes apparent that the injury is more serious that originally believed.  You must also use a IMO Med-Select Network provider.  All of the local emergency rooms are included in this network.  For non-emergency medical care, call Occupational Health (512-471-4647), and they will direct you to a provider.