The goal of the College of Natural Sciences Communications Office is to help fulfill the College Strategic Plan by promoting public awareness of the college's programs, faculty, staff and students and improving public support for scientific discovery at UT Austin. We work closely with the dean, other University communications offices, departmental communications professionals and leaders, the CNS IT group, and others to achieve these goals. For more about what we do that extends beyond communications, learn what our events team does.
Our Role in the College
- Publicizing our scientists' expertise and research discoveries and making them known to our key audiences:
- Promoting research, experts and stories of the College in traditional and emerging media.
- Maintaining and deepening relationships with journalists in a position to increase the pipeline of coverage of science, technology and higher education.
- Engaging effectively with key audiences using inspiring content that’s easy to share:
- Communicating with key audiences while monitoring and assessing their preferences, engagement patterns, and feedback (in newsletters, magazines, social media, surveys, etc.) so as to improve.
- Continually expanding the network of engaged alumni, parents, friends and followers of the College.
- Providing opportunities for in-person exchange, live presentations and face-to-face meetings between scientists, students, alumni and key stakeholders.
- Promoting community and affinity within the college and with external stakeholders, including through effective messaging and original science-based media and programming, and effective events.
- Providing opportunities and support to allow our experts to engage in effective science communication, offering media training and support, including through University initiatives such as the affiliation with the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science.
- Developing websites, social media content, videos, podcasts, enews, our college magazine, and more.
- Organizing select dean's office events for alumni, students, faculty and members of the broader community.
- Aligning messaging and strategy so as to advance College & University priorities, positioning and brand through excellent, consistent communications and events.
- Telling the story of the College of Natural Sciences, highlighting the compelling students, faculty, alumni, programs, and achievements unique to UT Austin and building public support for scientific discovery.
- Conveying the values and stories of the College, as well as the beauty of science through designed materials, integrated websites, events support, the annual Visualizing Science contest, & campaigns for major priorities of CNS.
How to Work with Us
In the communications office, we produce design work, press releases, infographics, websites, campaign materials, magazines, feature articles, videos, podcasts, digital content for social media, illustrations, and more.
In our events office, we assist with key strategic events and offer consulting to members of the college community seeking strategic advice about their events.
Ready to get started on planning an event? Learn more here.