Important Information for Transfer Students


UT Austin Science prerequisites and typical course progression

First Semester:

Second Semester:

Third Semester:

M 408K or M 408C M 408L or M 408D CH 310M (if required)
CH 301 CH 302, 204 BIO 325 (Genetics)
BIO 311C BIO 311D BIO 205L or 206L (if required)


  • Math is the foundation course for all other Natural Sciences courses at UT!

  • Credit or registration for Calculus (M 408K or C) is the prerequisite for CH 301

  • Credit or registration for CH 301 is the prerequisite for BIO 311C

  • A grade of C or better in BIO 311C is the prerequisite for BIO 311D

  • Grades of C or better in BIO 311C and 311D is the prerequisites for BIO 325

  • BIO 325 (Genetics) is the minimum prerequisite for all other upper division Biology courses


Transferring to UT presents a unique set of issues and challenges for Biology majors. Biology courses rarely transfer to UT directly. Sometimes, transfer students must start the UT Biology sequence from the beginning (BIO 311C) once arriving at UT.


Most often, students with previous Biology coursework have to submit a complete syllabus for the course(s) they took to be evaluated by a UT Biology faculty member. If you are interested in transferring to UT and have taken Biology courses at another institution, it is STRONGLY advised that you keep your syllabi from those courses, or obtain copies of them from your school before arriving at UT.

Biology courses which transfer with a generic course designation, such as the following, must be submitted for faculty review:






  • BIO 3ADV


The syllabus may be faxed, e-mailed, or turned in to the BSAC in the Norman Hackerman Building. It will then be reviewed by a UT Biology faculty member, who will determine if the material covered in the course(s) is equivalent to the material covered in UT Biology courses. This process typically takes 4-6 weeks. The syllabus should include information about the textbook used, the topics covered, and the amount of time devoted to each topic. Lab manuals for courses with labs should be turned in along with course syllabi. Students with more than one course to be evaluated should submit all syllabi at the same time. Approval of credit that will count towards a UT Biology degree is not guaranteed.

To look up how Biology courses from other Texas colleges and universities will transfer to UT, visit the UT Admissions Office's Automated Transfer Equivalency website.


UT/Austin Community College Biology Transfer Equivalencies:


  • BIOL 1406 = BIO 311C + BIO 105L (1-hour version of BIO 205L)

  • BIOL 1407 = BIO 311D + BIO 106L (1-hour version of BIO 206L)

Students transferring only BIOL 1406 have credit for BIO 311C only and must take BIO 311D next. Students transferring only BIOL 1407 have credit for BIO 311D only and must take BIO 311C next. Students transferring both BIOL 1406 and 1407 are ready to take BIO 325 next. Please visit the UT Admissions Office's Common Transfer Credit Problems website for more information. 

Helpful tips for prospective transfer students:


  • Beginning Fall 2006, incoming College of Natural Sciences students will be expected to be calculus ready. Transfer students who have not taken pre-calculus before coming to UT will find themselves at a disadvantage and may be delayed in beginning their chemistry and biology coursework at UT. Transfer students with no previous coursework in pre-calculus or calculus will be required to take the SAT II: Math Level IC exam during orientation to determine their math placement.
  • Finish your science sequences before transferring. Take both semesters of a two-semester chemistry, physics, or biology sequence; don't transfer in the middle.
  • ATTEND ORIENTATION! Many of your questions will be answered at orientation, plus you will get a helpful day planner, a free t-shirt, and earlier registration times! New UT students have advising bars that must be removed before registering for classes; speaking to an advisor at orientation will remove this bar.

BIO 377 Undergraduate Research petition process

At least 2 full semesters of independent, undergraduate biology research may be petitioned in lieu of an upper division biology lab requirement. Two full semesters of research at the minimum is required in order to petition. Research may only be petitioned in place of an upper division biology lab. At least one enrollment of BIO 377 is required.

Two semesters of research may be done in any of the following combinations:





How to petition

1) Student’s submit a 2-page, double-spaced, research write-up via email, to their academic advisor. Write-ups should include dates and hours worked per week in the lab, a hypothesis, research methods, conclusions, and demonstration of knowledge gained from experience in the lab.

*Papers already written for the research project may be used.

*Have the PI read the write-up since they will be verifying the research.

2) The PI reviews and corroborates the student’s write-up by sending an email directly to the student’s academic advisor. The correspondence may be brief, verifying the research was done as reported by the student.

3) Both write-up and corroborating statement are submitted by the academic advisor to the faculty advisor for review. The faculty advisor determines whether the petition request is appropriate or not.

4) A final decision is made in the College of Natural Sciences Dean’s Office.  

5) Most independent research, if there is evidence of two semesters of experience or more, is generally approved.

*BIO 377 cannot be used to substitute as an upper division biology lab for the Microbiology degree.

The BIO 377-FRI lab and how it is applied towards Biology majors

The BIO 377-FRI lab is not the same as BIO 377 Undergraduate Research. The BIO 377-FRI program is for new, incoming students – typically freshmen. Occasionally BIO 377-FRI is cross-listed with CH 369K-FRI, which means it is the same course.

The BIO 377-FRI lab automatically counts as an upper division biology lab towards all Biology options, except for Microbiology and Neurobiology majors.

*Students wanting to apply their FRI lab experience to a Microbiology major must receive preapproval from the faculty advisor. The research should have a microbiology focus.

*Students wanting to apply their FRI lab experience to a Neurobiology major must have at least two semesters of work done, submit a 2-page write up of their research, and provide a corroborating statement from their PI (same steps for petitioning research as outlined above). The research should have a neurobiology or neuroscience focus.

Demand for interdisciplinary, hands-on environmental science education is on the rise, and ESI is there to meet that challenge.

Undergraduate students enrolled at The University of Texas at Austin can pursue a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science with focus areas in Biology, Geology, and Geography.

Undergraduates at UT-Austin can also take advantage the University’s exceptional courses in environmental science, including the first signature course to be offered at UT-Austin: Sustaining a Planet. Of course, UT-Austin students can also pursue a Bridging Disciplines certification in the Environment, offered through the School of Undergraduate Studies.

And undergraduate students across the country can participate in ESI’s summer Research Experience for Undergraduates in which students design and complete their own short-term research project.

Visit the Environmental Science Institute website to learn more »