Department of Marine Science
A Resource for Texas. A Resource for the World.
- Housed at the Marine Science Institute in Port Aransas, Texas.
- First marine laboratory on the Gulf Coast, established in 1941.
- First to spawn redfish, flounder, croaker and cobia in captivity.
- Manages the Mission-Aransas National Estuarine Research Reserve, which at 185,708 acres is the third largest estuarine reserve in the nation.
- Science and the SeaTM radio program is heard on 229 affiliates in 45 states and in 52 countries.
- 7,500 K–12 school children, 50 K–12 teachers and 25,000–30,000 visitors to Visitor's Center annually.
- Over 13,250 people learn and participate in our community education programs.
- 37 graduate students, 7 post-doctoral research fellows, and 6 research scientists made up our graduate & post-graduate community this year.
- Our research portfolio is international in scope, and on average, totals over $6M every year.
- Received $6.77 million Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative Grant to understand how oil spill disperses in the Gulf of Mexico and how it affects the Gulf ecology.
- Scientists bring in more than $5 for every $1 the state spends on the institute.
- Animal Rehabilitation Keep rescues and rehabilitates thousands of animals annually.
- A new undergraduate Semester by the Sea program combines coursework with hands-on research
The Department of Marine Science and Marine Science Institute are dedicated to understanding and sharing our knowledge of the world's oceans and coasts - critical ecosystems for the health and future of humanity and the earth.
Enrollment (Fall 2014)
1 Regent's Outstanding Teaching Award
1 James Centorino Award for Marine Education
1 Texas Aquaculture Association Researcher of the Year (won two times)
1 Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award
Red tide / Oil spills / Hypoxia and dead zones / Climate change / Drug development / Larval fish ecology / Fish migration / Captive spawning / Ciguatera / Ocean acidification / Nitrogen fixation / Biodiversity / Land-ocean linkages
Affiliated Centers & Institutes
Marine Science Institute
Mission-Aransas National Estuarine Research Reserve