Biology Scholars Program
The Biology Scholars Program (BSP) is an intensive enrichment program for undergraduate biology majors. A two-year program, BSP is designed for students interested in careers in the health professions (medical, dental, etc).
BSP is associated with the biology and chemistry classes that science majors take during their first two years of college. These classes, which are taught by UT's finest and most sought-after professors, emphasize working in small groups and developing strong problem-solving and study skills. In addition to these classes, BSP students attend a weekly seminar led by BSP faculty. The first semester’s weekly seminar focuses on research methods and critical thinking; most students use this as preparation to join the Freshman Research Initiative (FRI) in their second semester.
During the first year, BSP students are divided into small mentoring groups that are led by upper-division mentors. Mentors are second or third-year BSP students who provide guidance on a number of topics, such as effective studying, time management, and adjusting to college life. Individual mentoring groups typically meet weekly for a social activity; all mentoring groups traditionally come together a few times each semester for a larger group social activity. Additionally, BSP students participate in a community-service project once a semester.
Each semester, current and former BSP students are invited to larger group events, such as luncheons, bowling, and trips within Austin. The costs of these events are covered by the College of Natural Sciences and our generous sponsors.
Highly motivated and qualified BSP students have the opportunity of becoming employed as peer mentors, program ambassadors, and study hall tutors after their first year in the program.
Why join BSP?
- Small community feel
- Guaranteed seats in required classes taught by top professors
- Reserved spot in FRI (if interested)
- Access to peer mentoring during first year
- Closer contact with top professors and staff compared to students who are not in the program
Requirements to apply to BSP:
- Be an incoming biology major who is interested in a health profesions career;
- Have a minimum 1,200 combined SAT score (verbal/quantitative), OR an average composite ACT score of 26;
- Have a positive attitute and an interest in being part of a smaller community;
- Display the willingness to challenge yourself for academic excellence.