Deparment Guidelines for Hiring Student Employees
All departments within the College of Natural Sciences who hire student employees will have a designated department contact who will be responsible for:
- Creating and Managing Job Postings in ScienceWorks
- Collecting all Employment Paper Work and Appointing Student Employees
- Processing Payroll for Student Employees in Their Department
ScienceWorks is the new job posting and recruiting website for all students in College of Natural Sciences. It is the gateway for all on-campus recruiting jobs, full-time jobs, part-time jobs, and summer internship postings for Natural Sciences students. You can designate your position as open to CNS PLA applicant types.
UT Austin departments can register for an account directly on ScienceWorks by going to the following link https://www.myinterfase.com/Utexas-cns/employer . For jobs at the University of Texas, there is already an employer profile for ‘University of Texas at Austin’, so all you need to do is create your personal contact profile for the system and post your positions. All contact and job postings go directly to a pending bin for the Career Design Center to approve, but all pending items are approved several times throughout the day.
Remember to include training requirements in your job posting. All student employees are required to earn CNS PLA Level I certification within two long semesters of being employed. They will attend at least one CNS PLA Training conference (August or January).
**If you have questions regarding the ScienceWorks process they can be directed to Mandi Ford at
New Student Employment Paperwork & Information
1. What to Do as Soon as You Decide Whom to Hire
- Have the student complete a Background Check Request form. Complete the department information section and fax the request form to Human Resource Services.
- Download the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) [PDF], and ask the new hire to complete Section 1. Ask the employee to bring acceptable identification and work-eligibility documents to you no later than the third work day. (Do not collect the I-9 until the person has accepted your offer of employment).
- If the applicant you want to hire is disabled and self-discloses any accommodations they will need, work with Office of Institutional Equity and Services for Students with Disabilities to ensure that the accommodations are reasonable and can be met by the university.
2. What to Do Before the Student Employee Begins Work
- Give your new employee a link to the New Student Employee Checklist.
- Assign the person to the position in Human Resource Management System (HRMS). Use “Assign Work-Study” for Federal Work-Study students. If another person in your department handles assignments, you'll use the online Staff Transaction Request (EID required) to request creation of the new assignment.
- If the employee will need mainframe access, create a *DPUSER logon
- Request authorizations for all applicable mainframe applications and Web systems
- Request that the *DEFINE office manager place the new employee on any necessary desks and views
- Create an employee file for the new hire. See Employee Files for more information. Refer to the Office of Accounting's Records Management Web site for information about records retention.
3. What to Do On or Before the Employee's First Day of Work
- The Employee Compliance Guide Acknowledgement Form should be printed, signed by the employee, and placed in the department file.
- Verify with the student that he/she has completed all items on the New Student Employee Checklist. An HR Contact in your department can check the student’s Personal Information Status online to verify that the items are complete.
- Meet with the student to review job duties and performance expectations. Provide any written guidelines, instructions, or manuals that may apply to the student’s position.
- Remind benefits-eligible graduate student employees to attend the Graduate Student Employee Insurance Orientation (EID required) in the fall or the general UT Austin New Employee Orientation at other times of year.
- International students who will have UT Select insurance benefits should apply for a waiver of the required UT Austin student health insurance. Information on application deadlines is available from International Student and Scholar Services.
- Remind nonresident students who have qualifying student academic assignments to complete a Request for Resident Tuition Entitlement.
- Remind student employees who are nonresident aliens to complete their GLACIER record.
*If have have questions regarding Human Resource policies, etc. in regards to student employees, please contact Amy Greenspan, the University's Student Employment Coordinator at:
Each deparment representative will be responsible for processing payroll for their student employees.
Here are some tools that may be useful as you hire and prepare for your student employees:
Hourly Time Sheet for Student Employees
Work Study Time Sheet for Student Employees
Student Employee Compensation
HRS Managing Student Employees Website