|Awards 1995 - 1999|
Jeffrey Leo Kodosky
Inventor and University Benefactor
Jeffrey Leo Kodosky moved to Austin in 1970 to attend graduate school at The University of Texas at Austin, studying theoretical particle physics. In May of 1976, he founded National Instruments with The University of Texas at Austin graduate students Jim Truchard and Bill Nowlin. Jeff's research culminated in the invention of LabVIEW, which became the company's flagship product. Today National Instruments is a multinational company with offices in 25 countries, more than 1700 employees, and a billion dollar market capitalization. He is a member of The College of Natural Sciences Foundation Advisory Council. Jeff has given generously of his time and resources to The University, especially the Texas Memorial Museum and the UTeach teacher preparation program.
Thomas V. Shockley III
Businessman and University Benefactor
Thomas Valcour Shockley III received a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering from The University of Texas at Austin in 1969. He is President and Chief Operating Officer of Central and Southwest Corporation. Under his supervision, the corporation acquired SEEBOARD, a 2.5 billion dollar electric utility distribution company in Southeast England, and has also agreed to combine with American Electric Power of Columbus, Ohio, creating the largest electric utility in the United States. Tom's responsibilities have included not only these merger and acquisition activities, but the supervision of the service company, and the development activities and non-regulated investments. Tom has served on The College of Natural Sciences Foundation Advisory Council and is the current chairman.
Sonia Wolf Wilson
Homemaker, Volunteer, and Philanthropist
Sonia Wolf Wilson received a B.S. degree from the College of Natural Sciences in 1954. She has dedicated her adult life to her family and volunteer services. She is a member of The College of Natural Science Foundation Advisory Council and was Chairman from 1996-1998. She has been President of the Austin Women's Symphony League, the American Symphony Orchestra Volunteer Council, the Junior League Sustainers of Austin, and the Austin Community Foundation. She and her husband, Sam Wilson, established the Sonia Wolf Wilson Lectureship and the Sonia Wolf Wilson Regents Administrative Professorship in Human Ecology. Her generous donation of effort and resources have made the community and The University a better place.
Don R. Boyd
Geologist and Businessman
Dr. Boyd received his B.S. in Geology from The University of Texas College of Arts and Sciences in 1958. He has been a successful independent geologist in petroleum exploration and production since 1966. He is President and Owner of Gulf Coast Exploration Company, founded in 1974, and Texan Drilling Company, Inc., founded in 1987. His contribution to the geological literature of the Gulf Coast Basin is substantial and includes a number of award winning papers. All three Boyd children are graduates from The University of Texas at Austin. He is a Distinguished Graduate of the Department of Geological Sciences and an Honorary Life Member and former Chairman of the Geology Foundation Advisory Council.
Dr. Roland Krezdorn Blumberg
Geologist, Physicist, and University Benefactor
Dr. Roland Krezdorn Blumberg received a B.S. degrees in Petroleum Engineering and Mathematics in 1939, and a M.A. in Physics in 1942 from The University of Texas College of Arts and Sciences. He was a successful geologist, physicist, mathematician, banker, businessman, and educator. He helped develop sonar homing torpedoes during W.W.II. and invented the first direct reading seismograph. Dr. Blumberg established successful petroleum and banking businesses in Seguin, where he was raised and lived until his death in 1997. His service to The University includes the College of Natural Sciences Foundation Advisory Council and the Department of Astronomy and McDonald Observatory Board of Visitors.
Priscilla Pond Flawn
Civic Volunteer and Child Advocate
Priscilla Pond Flawn is a passionate advocate for young children. She was a teacher and head teacher at Good Shepherd School in Austin, helped found the Austin Association for the Education of Young Children, and served many other organizations dedicated to children's education. She has worked tirelessly to promote these causes during her tenure as First Lady of the University. The Priscilla Pond Flawn Professorship in Child Development in the Department of Human Ecology is a tribute to her interest. Other professorships in the Department of Education and Music also bear her name. Both her daughters have graduated from the College of Natural Sciences.
Dr. John Alton Burdine, Jr.
Physician, Scientist, and University Benefactor
Dr. John Alton Burdine, Jr. received his B.A. with honors from The University of Texas, College of Arts and Sciences in 1959. He completed his medical degree in 1961 and his residency in 1965 at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. During his early medical career he played a pivotal role in the development of nuclear medicine as section chief in the Harris County Hospital District from 1965-1983. In 1984 Dr. Burdine became President and CEO of St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, a position he held until his retirement in 1995. Dr. Burdine's ties to The University extend from his father, John Alton Burdine, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences 1957-1967, for whom Burdine Hall is named; to his two sons who graduated from The University. Dr. Burdine and his family have been strong supporters of scholarship an other programs at The University.
Winifred Small Jones
Microbiologist and University Benefactor
Mrs. Winifred Small Jones began her career as a microbiologist after graduating from The University of Texas in 1940 with a B.A. in Bacteriology, and later became a charter member of the Texas branch of the American Society for Microbiology. She was appointed to the Board of Regents of Texas Woman's University in 1953, and named Chairman in 1963, becoming the first woman to chair a board of regents in Texas. A strong supporter of the College and the Department of Microbiology, Mrs. Jones established a fellowship in 1989 to honor her good friend Lois Sager Foxhall. To provide support for research and teaching in microbiology, Mrs. Jones also created the Winifred Small Jones Endowed Excellence Fund in 1994. She is honored for a lifetime of singular achievements.
Dr. William Shive
Chemist, Educator, and Professor Emeritus
Dr. William Shive began his illustrious association with The University of Texas at Austin sixty years ago as a graduate student in Chemistry. His Ph.D. was conferred in 1941 and he spent the next four years in academic positions at the University of Illinois and Tulane. Upon returning to UT Austin in 1945 he soon enriched the Department of Chemistry through service in many local and national committees, and as Chairman of the Department of Chemistry from 1961 to 1970. He became the Liaison Officer for the UT System to the Robert A. Welch Foundation in 1970, serving until 1986. He was named the first recipient of the Roger J. William Centennial Professorship at UT Austin in 1985, and named Professor Emeritus in 1987. Dr. Shive's contributions to the understanding of intermediary metabolism and nutrition have ensured his international reputation in the scientific community and brought get prestige to The University.
William E. Gipson
Geologist and Corporate Executive
Mr. William E. Gipson is a prominent Houston oilman with a distinguished record in the corporate and professional world. After earning a bachelors' and masters' degree in geology from The University, he began his career in Midland as a petroleum geologist consultant. In 1963, he joined Pennzoil and served in vigorous management positions for the next 14 years. Mr. Gipson is Director of Pogo Producing and has been with the company since 1977. He has served on many national petroleum boards including the American Association of Petroleum Geologists and the National Petroleum Council. An Honorary Life Member of the Geology Foundation Advisory Council, Mr. Gipson is also a Distinguished Graduate of the Department of Geological Sciences, and a member of the President's Associates, the Chancellor's Council, and the Littlefield Society. He has given several major gifts and endowments to The University.
Lorraine I. Stengl, M.D.
Physician and University Benefactor
Dr. Lorraine I. (Casey) Stengl began her successful career as a physician after receiving her bachelor's degree in Chemistry and Secondary School Education from The University. After receiving her M.D. in 1947 from the Medical College of Pennsylvania, Dr. Stengl served a residency at Austin's Brackenridge Hospital for two years and began a long and successful family practice in El Campo, Texas. After retiring in 1974, Dr. Stengl focused her energies on community service and the formation of the Senior Ladies Golf Association of Texas. She has given generously to UT Austin through various endowments and scholarships to support life sciences studies. In 1991, Dr. Stengl donated a 200-acre land parcel to UT Austin: now known as Lost Pines Biological Station, a major resource in field biology studies. Dr. Stengl also serves on many UT Austin committees, including the Chancellor's Council and Littlefield Society.
H. David Medley
Chemist and University Benefactor
Dr. H. David Medley began a long and successful career as a chemist and corporate executive after graduating from The University in 1952 with his doctoral degree. Upon completing his formal education, Dr. Medley spent 35 years at Celanese Chemical Company in various executive positions. He has been a member of the American Chemical Society for nearly 50 years and is also past Chairman of the Petrochemical Committee of the National Petroleum Refiners Association. Dr. Medley is a longtime University friend, serving as a charter and Honorary Life Member of the Natural Sciences Foundation Advisory Council. He serves on many UT Austin Committees, including the President's Associates, Chancellor's Council, Longhorn Foundation, and the Executive Council of the Ex-Students' Association.
Mr. Peter O'Donnell, Jr.
Investor and Philanthropist
Mr. Peter O'Donnell, Jr., has been an extraordinary friend to The University and the State of Texas. He cares deeply about the welfare of his country and its people and has expressed that concern by supporting excellence in education at every possible level through the O'Donnell Foundation. He earned a bachelor of science degree in mathematics from the University of the South in 1947 and an MBA from the Wharton School of Business in 1949. Among his many positions, Mr. O'Donnell is President of O'Donnell Foundation, a Member of the Board of the Texas Foundation for Higher Education, and is Co-chairman of the Presidents' Council of the National Academy of Sciences. He also serves on several academic advisory boards. He has been involved in the creation of over 100 endowments at The University, including those establishing the Institute of Cellular and Molecular Biology and the Texas Institute for Computational & Applied Mathematics. In recognition of his significant service to higher education, Mr. O'Donnell has received the University of Texas System Santa Rita Award (1986), The James K. Wilson Silver Cup Award (1989), the Linz Award (1993) and the Southwestern Medical Foundation Community Service Award (1993).
Mr. Joseph C. Walter Jr.
Corporate Executive, Geologist, and Engineer
Mr. Joseph C. Walter, Jr., is a prominent businessman, petroleum geologist, engineer, and a civic leader in Houston. After earning his bachelor of science degree in petroleum engineering (1949) and a master's degree in geology (1951) from The University, Mr. Walter began work with Humble Oil and Refining Company in 1951 and has formed several major oil and gas consulting companies in his prestigious career. He has been active in many professional societies and serves on several major corporate boards. He and his wife, Elizabeth, have been great supporters of University programs through the giving of several significant endowments, including providing major gifts to the Geology Library, named the Walter Geology Library in 1982. He has been active with UT Austin, serving on many boards, an is an Honorary Life Member of the Geology Foundation Advisory Council. Mr. Walter has been named a Distinguished Alumnus of The University, a Distinguished Graduate of the Department of Geological Sciences, and a Distinguished Graduate of the College of Engineering.